Google Made a Brain!

I have written about IBM's robot Watson, the one that can play Jeopardy, before (see Google's Algorithm and IBM's Watson) and figured how researches like that can have a drastic effect on search engines. At the time, I was quite skeptic, and even mentioned John Searle's Chinese Room argument and how a programmed robot can't really "know" or be "discerning" per se, differentiating syntax from semantics.


It's interesting how last night, while waiting for a friend outside my house, I was able to read the article above on Mashable about Google using a 16,000-processor powered neural network to simulate a brain and recently was able to make it successfully look for videos of cats in YouTube.

Even when I read before about Google supposedly knowing what constitutes funniness, I was still quite skeptic (see It's Not Funny, Google).

Yesterday though, I somewhat of a change of tone when I mentioned that Google or the internet as a whole may eventually become quasi-sentient (see IPV6). Generally, it could actually be just as good or even better than the brain. It's not exactly sentience in the human sense but it could be simulating very similar qualities or functions. And, if simulated the right way, it could technically be worthy of being called sentient.

I love what Google is doing with their money. I guess one day they just decided to make a brain and then another day they decided to make it search for cat videos on YouTube. Classic.

No comments

Just another one of the blogs of Harry Santos. Powered by Blogger.