Freewill is Appalling—some philosophical reflections on morality and ethics

I hit my neighbor's guest's Patrol yesterday while reversing from our house garage. Of course it was my fault and I have to compensate for the damages.

harry santos twitter
I could have just stayed home, I thought to myself, and all of it could have been avoided. William James believed that this concept of regret only furthers the justification of my freewill. On a previous post about keeping a cat, I scratched the surface on this topic and talked about Sartre's concept of anguish or our existential fear of the unpredictability of our actions.

From this chaos, the collection of reality's unquantifiable events, accidents arise. The concept that we had no control or that it was not in full intention. There's this wonderful video lecture on this that I posted on my previous post about Education, Schooling and the Power of the Internet.

And so naturally, individuals decided to create social contracts and laws to somehow make sense of all the chaos and decide which actions are most desirable, ethical, and pragmatic. That is the intention, at least, but not always the case for the law isn't perfect. It is continuously changing and evolving. Centuries ago, our ancestors assumed that gods would protect the innocent and so they deemed it justified that they put those accused of crimes in a series of life-threatening challenges. But we supposedly know better now. There are no gods who protect the innocent. Bad things happen to good people and vice versa.

I guess that's where the enterprise of insurance came from. It deals with the unintended consequences of our freewill—accidents. The first thing people would ask me when I tell them I bumped a car would be, does your car have insurance?. And sadly, it doesn't. And you know how I'm so proud of earning money from blogging? It makes me wonder about contingency, about how all my earnings can disappear just like that. I value money more now, I guess, because it's something I really worked for and earned.

Making mistakes is how we grow, yeah? I've bumped before but this time it's different. I know I'll be more careful next time, be sharper and more aware of my actions. I value property rights. I value my own earnings that stemmed from my effort and time. Also, I despise my burdens on the earnings of my parents.


#NowPlaying:
Flux Pavilion - Haunt You

Follow me on my twitter: @harryinitiative to get updates on my latest blog posts and other random things happening to my life.

No comments

Just another one of the blogs of Harry Santos. Powered by Blogger.