F*ck Yeah Social Media—Saoirse Ronan retweeted me!

Just a few days ago I watched Hanna. It was really so intense. I've expressed interest in it back when I first saw the trailer and knew that watching it will really be a captivating experience. Of course, after watching I decided to tweet about it. I never would have imagined that Saoirse Ronan, the actress playing Hanna (also known for her roles in Atonement, The Lovely Bones, etc.), would ever take interest in anything I had to say. And then there it was: she retweeted me.
saoirse ronan twitter
This is how social media takes connectivity and communication to a whole new level. I mean, you can message Barrack Obama if you wanted, right? I would have loved a reply more, actually, like a personal message. But hey, a retweet is enough. I guess it means that she was interested in what I had to say and felt like sharing it to her thousands of other fans. For a few seconds in her life, I was able to influence her, no matter how insignificant it seems.

hanna tangled
Hanna and Rapunzel

Hanna reminded me of the Disney film Tangled. At first, you're probably thinking that there's zero similarities between the two films. But then I saw how both deeply expressed the long debated issue in psychology of nature vs nurture—are we shaped by our environment or are we predetermined by genetics? Both girls Hanna and Rapunzel grew up in some sort of Skinner Box environment isolated from the outside world. Information was monopolized. They accepted what they were told as truth.

Of course, Hanna was supposedly genetically modified and predisposed to have less fear and pity. In spite of that and how she was conditioned by her father, we see that there were desires and curiosities very inherent in humans that couldn't be suppressed. She longed to hear music just as Rapunzel wanted to see the floating lights.

'
Hanna Official Trailer

It also puts the bureaucracy of the CIA in question. We see how government secrecy actually leads to less safety and security. You know, even the agencies themselves don't know their own secrets anymore or whose side they're really on. I mean, there's really so many ethical issues when you give this kind of big brother authority and power to the government and their bureaucrats.

The story and character is really just so original and as I've said in my tweet: I wish it didn't have to end. I wish there was a next episode I can look forward to. I want to know more about what happens. The directing and storytelling made me feel as if I was part of the movie and so when the movie ended, I felt incomplete.

If you haven't already seen this movie then you're really missing out. It's probably one of the best movies of our time. Of course, I am biased. I love sci-fi and spy movies. I love thought-provoking things. I love it when stories expose the human condition. All that can be found in this movie and more. Everything from acting, directing, storytelling, and even the brilliant soundtrack made by The Chemical Brothers: it all just complemented each other to form a really great movie.


Follow me on my Twitter account - Saoirse Ronan found something interesting in what I had to say surely you will too!

No comments

Just another one of the blogs of Harry Santos. Powered by Blogger.